WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on the user’s computer or mobile phone when he/she browses websites and/or applications.
There are primarily two types of cookies: ‘essential’ cookies or ‘non-essential’ cookies.
Essential cookies: these are cookies that are either:
- used solely to carry out or facilitate the transmission of communications over a network; or
- strictly necessary to provide an online service (e.g. Our Website or a service provided via Our Website) which you have requested.
Non-essential cookies: these are any cookies that do not fall within the definition of essential cookies, such as cookies used to analyze the users’ behavior on a Website (‘analytical’ cookies) or cookies used to display advertisements to the users (‘advertising’ cookies).
These two types of cookies have different characteristics that can be distinguished and classified according to the length of time for which they are valid and the origin of their placement.
Cookies according to the length of time for which they are valid on the user’s computer may be:
- Persistent or permanent cookies: remain after the session is closed. They are kept on the user’s hard drive until they expire (persistent cookies are designed with an expiry date) or until the user deletes the cookies. Persistent cookies are used to collect identification data relating to the user, such as their behavior while surfing the internet or their preferences for a specific Website;
- Session cookies: only last for the time taken to visit a Website (session). They are deleted when the user closes the browser.
Cookies according to their placement may be:
- First-party cookies: these belong to the site that you choose to visit;
- Third-party cookies: these are cookies connected with the activity of partner third parties. They are imported from a site the content of which is accessible indirectly, for example via an image or a banner.
Most browsers support cookies (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.). In any case, users can configure their browser to deactivate cookies or they can delete them.
WHAT COOKIES DO WE USE AND FOR WHAT PURPOSE?
Our cookies help Us:
- Make Our Website work as you’d expect;
- Save you having to login every time you visit the Website;
- Remember your settings during and between visits;
- Improve the speed/security of the Website;
- Continuously improve Our Website;
- Make Our marketing more efficient (ultimately helping Us to offer the service We do).
- Collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission);
- Collect any sensitive information including but not limited to special categories of personal data (without your express permission);
- Pass data to advertising networks;
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties;
- Pay sales commissions.
LIST OF COOKIES WE USE
As the user interacts with Our Website, We may automatically collect technical data about the user’s equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal data by using cookies, server logs, web beacons, and other similar technologies. We may also receive technical data about the user if s/he visits other sites employing Our cookies.
The cookies that We use can be categorized into two (2) types, namely:
- Performance cookies: Performance cookies collect anonymous information on the users of Our Website to enable Us to improve the operation of Our Website. For example, We utilize cookies to help Us understand how users arrive at and browse or use Our Website, and highlight improvement areas such as navigation and marketing. The data stored by these cookies does not include personal details from which an individual’s identity can be established.
- Targeting or advertising cookies: These cookies collect information about the user’s browsing habits to allow Us to provide advertising relevant to the user and his/her interests. The cookies retain information about the Websites the user has visited. This information is shared with other parties such as advertisers on an anonymous basis. Your personally identifiable information such as your name and address are not shared with such third parties. For example, We use third party companies to provide the user with more personalized advertisements when he/she visits certain third-party Websites.
ANONYMOUS VISITOR STATISTICS COOKIES
For the aforementioned purposes We use Google Analytics.
TURNING COOKIES OFF
The user may turn off cookies by adjusting his/her browser settings to stop it from accepting cookies. However, doing so will likely limit the functionality of Our and a large proportion of the world’s Websites as cookies are a standard part of most modern Websites.
It may be that the user’s concerns with respect to cookies relate to “spyware”. Rather than switching off cookies in the browser, one may find that anti-spyware software achieves the same objective by automatically deleting cookies which are considered to be invasive.